College of Arts and Sciences

Improving adaptability

Today’s blog is from junior Sarah Lemming about her study abroad program this past summer. While planning for study abroad often requires thinking about classes, passports, and logistics, the unplanned experiences and skills learned transcend any location or expectation.

My name is Sarah Lemming, and I am a junior biology major who experienced the language and culture of Colombia through Xavier’s study abroad program this past June. It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I will carry what I learned with me as I continue my academic and personal journey.

I was nervous and excited leading up to my trip departure because I had never been to South America and I was about to spend a month living there. My Xavier professors helped ease my concerns by connecting me with students at the university where we would be studying and providing a thorough packing list. I was able to grasp a general idea about what to expect.

Once I arrived, I quickly began to connect with my fellow students, professors, and the broad culture of a new country. Throughout the trip, I improved my adaptability. I kept an open mind to changes and viewed the whole experience as a series of opportunities, and this helped me to fully embrace and make the most of such a special experience. I improved my Spanish-speaking skills by conversing with locals and experienced first-hand the richness of Colombian food, dance, music, coffee, and more. Xavier’s study abroad program allowed me to learn more about myself, improve my language skills, build connections with others, and develop a richer appreciation of Columbian culture in a safe, organized, and opportunity-filled environment.