College of Arts and Sciences

What sophomore slump?

When I was extended the invitation to write a blog sharing my thoughts as a second-year faculty member at Xavier, I was excited. However, I slowly found it difficult to sit in reflection and write because I have been stuck in “get-it-done” mode – that process of finalizing syllabi, planning class lectures, getting Canvas organized, meeting students, reconnecting with the campus community, attending meetings, and so forth. Now that I am finding my rhythm this semester, I would like to call this second year my “sophomore year.”  Like our students, much attention goes to those who are classified as freshman and seniors – the ones coming in and the ones leaving. Those students in the middle, our sophomores and juniors, often fly under the radar or go unnoticed. However, as a second-year faculty member, I empathize with our sophomores. We are no longer considered new; however, we have found more autonomy, we have established an identity on campus, we have a grounded sense of what opportunities we desire to pursue, and we have a growing knowledge of institutional operations and history.

I feel optimistic going into my sophomore year of teaching at Xavier. My optimism is deeply rooted in the relationships that have been cultivated from the first year. These relationships are expressed in the passing conversations with my former students, the hand waves and smiles from my peers, the laughs and hugs at on-campus events, and the communal after-work socials. These relationships reaffirm that I am in the right place for this season of life. Somehow, no matter where I am, I seem to have a conversation with a new or familiar person that is always just what I need to remain encouraged, supported, motivated, inspired, connected, and anchored. Does that happen with you, too?

As a sophomore faculty member, we may ask questions because we are still learning. We may also sit quietly because we have not quite determined which questions to ask. The strength in being a sophomore is that we are at the crossroads of remembering where we were before we arrived and ingrained enough to know how we fit into this university community. So, to my faculty friends and colleagues who are in the middle years (pre-tenure/pre-promotion) – I see us. We are in “get-it-done” mode. We are establishing community. We are juggling multiple tasks at once. We are more confident in the work we are doing and the contributions we are making. We are embodying the attitude of the great philosopher…Beyoncé Knowles-Carter…when she said, “I don’t like to gamble, but if there’s one thing I'm willing to bet on, it’s myself.” In this sophomore year, continue betting on yourself and pushing forward to achieve the goals you have established!

By Dr. Keturah Nix
Assistant Professor, English